“Known for our warm, hospitable people, Guam is a destination like no other. Only on Guam can you find star-sand beaches, crystal clear blue skies and world-famous sunsets. These are just a few reasons why millions of tourists have made Guam their top travel choice. Whether you’re looking to experience a thrilling adventure on land or at sea, unravel 4,000 years of intriguing history, shop for the latest fashion and trends, taste our famous chicken kelaguen and red rice, or just wind down beneath some shady palm trees, Guam is waiting for you.” ~Guam Visitors Bureau
A shrine and statue of Padre San Vitores baptizing the Chief's daughter, with the mother and sword wielding Chief standing over them, stands at the location of the slaying between the Guam Reef Hotel and Sails restaurant.
Two Lovers Point
During the time of the Spanish rule, two star-crossed lovers plunged to their deaths at this site rather than being separated.On this site today sits Two Lovers Point Park with an observation platform.
Latte Stone Park
Latte Stones are pillars on which ancient Chamorro houses were constructed as early as 500 A.D. found nowhere else in the world. Latte Stones have become a signature of Guam and the Northern Marianas islands.
Plaza de Espana
The Plaza de Espana, located in central Hagatna, was the location of the Governor's Palace during th Spanish occupation. Most of the palace were destroyed during the shelling of Hagatna during the retaking of Guam in World War II. There are three structures still standing including the three arch gate to Almacen (Arcena), the Azotea or back porch, and the Chocolate House.
The first Catholic Church on Guam, the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica was constructed in central Hagatna in 1669. The original church was constructed in 1669-1670 by Chamorro's under the direction of Padre Diego Luis de San Vitores on lands granted by Chief Quipuha, the ranking male of Hagatna at that time. This structure survived until World War II when it was destroyed during the shelling of Hagatna in preparation for the American invasion. The present church was constructed on the original site in 1955-1959.
San Antonio Bridge
The San Antonio Bridge (To'lai Acho or stone bridge) was constructed by the Spanish in the 1800's to span the Hagatna River. The original bridge survived the shelling of Hagatna in World War II and continued in use after the War. During the rehabilitation of Hagatna that began in 1945, the river was filled but the bridge was spared and today stands in a small park located across Marine Corps Drive from the Hagatna Marina. On the Northern side of the bridge, you will see "Sirena the Mermaid", a Legends of Guam culture.
Fort Santa Agueda
Constructed in 1800, Fort Santa Agueda occupied a commanding position overlooking Hagatna Bay and the city of Hagatna. The cannon of Fort Agueda served to protect Hagatna harbor and the lucrative Galleon trade until the Spanish American War when in 1898 when an American frigate entered Hagatna harbor with guns blazing. Hagatna was surrendered the next day. Today the old Spanish cannon still point out over Hagatna Bay from the remnants of Fort Santo Agueda located in Hagatna Heights adjacent to the Governor's residence.
War in the Pacific National Historic Park
The War in the Pacific National Historical Park-Guam was established on August 18, 1978 to commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of those participating in the campaigns of the Pacific Theater of World War II and to conserve and interpret outstanding natural, scenic, and historic values and objects on the island of Guam. The War in the Pacific National Historic Park visitor center and museum is currently located just north of Asan Beach Park, but is scheduled to be relocated to Asan Overlook in the next few years.
Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad
Fort Nuestra Senora de la Soledad was one of the last Spanish Forts constructed in the 19th Century in support of the Spanish Galleon trade. Sitting on the cliff just to the South of Umatac, Fort Soledad has a commanding view of the Bay and all Ocean approaches. The Fort was restored in 1995 and today the cannon of Fort Soledad still point out over the Pacific Ocean and Umatac Bay where Magellan landed in 1521 to make the first contact between Guam and the West.